Question 1
i was involved in a hit and run where i was the runner. its been two weeks. am i clear???or not?... i know it was wrong but i could not afford this too go on my record plus my mom would have killed me if she found out cause i was in her vehicle. no one has contacted my mom at all about the accident(police). and she was currently on the phone with her insurance last week about adding me too her policy for my truck...its been two weeks iam just wondering if anybody thinks im in the clear or not..and yes i know it was a stupid thing for me to do but hey s**tt happens..
no people were not around no cameras were around. when i took off i blew black smoke everywhere so it would possibly be hard to get my lp
Answers
1) hahaha thanks to the patriot act your more likley to get caught now that you've posted it on the internet, if you hurry you can still delete this Q
oh and yes i bet your clear - Richard Fitzwell (call me Dick)
2) you suck at life. grow up, douchebag. i hope someone took a picture of your car and told the popo, it would be awesome if you lost your license. hit and run is a felony yo, don't drop the soap. - Skag Baron™
3) wow what a idiot were people around when this happened? you need to say more not just am i clear or not soo explain more before people can answer
i see you asked this last week to so why did you as again heres a good answer for you too. Since there was no damage done, why didn't you stop? If you had you wouldn't be worrying about it now.
Worse case scenario, someone got your license number and the police will be contacting you regarding leaving the scene of an accident. No, unless lots of damage was done or someone was killed, it won't be a felony. - Emily G
4) Yes s^^t does happen and you should have taken the rap for it, i would be irate if somebody hit me and just took off! - Mr. Q
5) Wait wait wait... You killed the person? How fast were you going??
And no you're not clear. - Hans Johnson
6) You're a great person. Jesus loves people that are irresponsible and maim other people. - Theneelster
7) If there was a death, there is no statute of limitations. You can be nailed for this the rest of your life.
Other wise the statue of limitations applies, in many cases you will have this hanging over your head for at least seven years.
You left evidence and the police will know the year, make, model and car color before too long. They the run down all the cars that match that.
You are fried, just go turn yourself in! - Old Man Dirt
___________________________________________________
Question 2
I'm in a complete car mess that's going to ruin my life!?... Hey this is m first question, first off I'm 17 years old. I've been driving my dad's old car for 3 months with insurance. I bought a used truck, and traded in my dad's car and forged his signature on the title without him there because I had to have it that bad(I live with my single mother). I've contacted him to transfer over the insurance, and he said he'd get on it in the afternoon. Then 2 days later, I get into an accident that was 100% my fault with no injuries. A police report was filled and I get a ticket. I contact my dad when I get home, and he said he never transferred my fucking insurance! Now my dad dropped me from the insurance, is saying I forged his signature, and telling the insurance company I've been driving w/o insurance.
The person who I hit has about 7k worth of damage, but was willing to not go through insurance after our conversation on the phone that night. So 9 days later I now have the money to pay for the damage, and then today my dad got a letter from the person's insurance company asking for my info. I contacted the person today and they said that I don't have to send it back, and they told the insurance that we worked something out and that was it. I find that too hard to believe, because we said we'd work something out 5 days before the letter was sent.
Well, now I'm in a huge mess. Do you guys think this person is lying big time, and really wants to go through insurance, even though we discussed and they were willing for me to pay it out of pocket? If this goes through Insurance I'm at risk of going to jail for fraud, and getting sued. I just need advice on what to do. Please help!
They're going after my Mom with the lawsuit most likely which is bs because she had nothing to do with this :(
Also I paid the truck In full with cash, so that counts as a deposit?
Answers
1) Mistake no. 1: Forging your dad's signature (a FELONY)
Mistake no. 2: Not putting a deposit on the truck
Mistake no. 3: Not getting an insurance policy of your own
You're dealing with criminal AND civil matters here. The forgery's obvious.
In a way, you're lucky about potentially being sued, because of your age. For the other party to sue, they would have to name your parent(s) as a defendant(s) because you're under eighteen.
Grow up and accept responsibility. - dieterzakas
2) The person you hit has every right to go through their insurance - it is financial protection in the event that the come across someone like you who was driving illegally and without insurance. Why should they be out money or a vehicle because you made a bad choice? Plus if they agree to settle with you, they may be voiding the terms of their insurance policy contract - that would not be in their best interest. For future reference, you should always have your own policy in place and you should never, ever agree to settle anything outside of the insurance. You already potentially could get sued and go to jail because you forged your dad's signature, sold property that did not belong to you, drove without insurance and damaged someone else's property - the only advice I have is get a good lawyer because there's really no easy way out of this for you. Your mom, too, if she is going to take the brunt of this because most likely you are considered a minor and not able to either enter into contracts or have the money or assets to repair or replace the other party's vehicle. - jmi0975
3) Once he got an estimate of the damage, it's possible the guy you hit opened a claim with his insurance company because he didn't believe that a 17 year old could come up with $7000 in less than 2 weeks. I would think the same exact thing. He probably needs the car to get back on the road as soon as possible and figured the accident would ultimately be going through the insurance company anyway, regardless of your conversation with him.
If the other guy's insurance company doesn't pay anything out and the claim gets dropped, I doubt that they'll pursue it. Wait and see if you get another letter from them. If the guy does decide to initiate a lawsuit, he'll be suing your mom because she is your legal guardian.
One thing I'm curious about. You said you "traded in" your father's car. That means you went to a dealership of some sort, i.e. a used car lot - someone who holds a dealer license. In most states, a dealer cannot enter into a sales contract with a minor. Did you forge your dad's name on the buyer's order as well? Did you use your own ID when you bought the car? How could they have not known you were underage? If your state IS a state that forbids a dealer from entering into a sales contract with a minor, then the sale of the truck to you was never legal.
I really don't know what to tell you. You have 2 separate problems here. The first being the possibility of your mother being sued for your own selfishness and lack of impulse control. The second being the possible repercussions of committing a few felonies (forgery and possibly identity theft?).
You may want to consult an attorney. Get a free consultation - most lawyers will give you one. Find out what you are up against. In the meantime, try to learn something from this experience.
Welcome to the real world. There's no do-overs anymore. Accept the responsiblity like an adult and don't make the same stupid mistakes again.
Good luck. - Little Wing
___________________________________________________
Question 3
Will my Insurance Co deny a claim made on a fully covered car that was unregistered at the time of incident?... My car's registration expired, parked on the street (yes, i kno, illegally) and was hit by some J-off who fled afterwards. No witnesses, other than a lenient officer who was called to the scene afterwards. I've since done everything to re-instate my registration/plates, but have not filed a claim with my Insurer (the gecko one), in fear of being denied & having to pay for the damages. It's been 6 days, i'm wanting to be honest & tell the story to my insurer, but after many different sources boil down to S.O.L., i'm beginning to open up to a new "scene".
This is in CT
Answers
1) You have full coverage, the only cost you may have to pay is your deduct able.
Is the damage more or less that your deduct able?. - jason
2) No, you won't be denied, they won't even ask. Don't tell them, as it's not going to affect the outcome. - Mushu
3) When I go looking for replacement auto insurance is a fast and easy way to save a lot of money. You can get a quick quote online they often give you lots of quotes.
I have used http://www.BestRatesToday.info - Zachary M
___________________________________________________
Question 4
If I'm 17 and 1/2 do I need to take drivers training to get my license?... Or can I go straight for my license?
Well when you're 18 you don't have to take it I don't think or you don't have to wait 6 months at least. So is there anything different about getting your license when you turn 17 and a half?
I also live in CA.
Also, I'm only going to be 17 this month so in 6 months hopefully I can get my license but I was wondering if you still needed drivers training because it costs like $300 and I heard you didn't.
Answers
1) if you don't take driver's ed, you have to wait until you're 18 to get your license. so you might as well just wait half a year till you're old enough and save the money you'd spend on the classes. you'll obviously still have to take a test though. - Cate
2) each State has different rules. Read the study guide from Dept Motor Vehicles. - ET
3) Im a drivers ed teacher in Washington state, the rules here are you must go to a drivers ed before your 18, and you must have your permit for 6 months with no tickets/accident before you get a license. When you are 18 you still have to pass a written and driving test at you DMV if you choose not to get your license before 18 years of age. - Kyle Severson
___________________________________________________
Question 5
How long do I have to wait in the DMV so i can take my Drivers Permit test?...
Answers
1) Just depends how busy they are when you show up. Might be 5 minutes if you're lucky. Half hour probably normal. Maybe hours if the place is packed. - Rev
2) It depends on how busy the DMV is - if you go first thing, it might be quicker than if you go in the middle of the day and the end of the month is always going to be a busier time. You could potentially be there all day. - jmi0975
3) Waiting in the DMV can take a long time, like an hour or so. It's best to make an appoinment beforehand. - cgongo
___________________________________________________
Popular
-
Honda has officially taken the wraps off its 2011 Odyssey minivan. Like the Odyssey concept shown at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show, the new min...
-
Although Mercedes-Benz has officially revealed how the next CLS will look, the automaker's representatives tell Leftlane that we will h...
-
2011 Jeep Patriot Appear at Chrysler Shows On the inside, the 2011 Patriot highlights a significantly more upscale interior, with an incre...
-
General Motors has decided to unveil the Chevrolet Aveo hatchback ahead of it’s debut at this month’s Paris Motor Show. The 5-door Aveo whic...
-
2010 Subaru Forester SUV 2010 Subaru Forester is a vehicle for people that like the space that a Sport Utility Vehicle offers, but prefer a...
-
The Audi TT RS headed for America will share key performance attributes of the models sold in Europe and elsewhere. The car will come with t...
-
To Blog Or Not to Blog - An Insurance Agent's Dilemma Most insurance agents approach blogging with these thoughts: "Great, some...
-
Question 1 Do i really need to take classes before i can get my drivers permit?... If i didn't want to go through all the hassle of tak...